Tuesday, October 16, 2012

FOOD... FOOD... FOOD

Recently, Danny and I watched an interesting documentary on Netflix called "Knives Over Forks" that made us think twice about our eating habits!  In short we are cutting, meat, dairy, and processed foods out of our diets.  We are moving away from animal based diet into a whole food plant based diet!  Not easy but do-able!

Today was my first day shopping with new "guidelines"... oh man... so much processed JUNK!!!


I tried to shop with these things is mind:



Less ingredients the better
No enriched white (wheat) flour
No sugar
No olive oil, or canola oil (which are 100% fat)
No Milk, eggs, or cheese
No Meat

I did really did pretty well.  Interestingly enough, a lot of things that were organic and just the pure ingredients without all the preservatives and such, were cheaper than their counter parts! I was surprised as I thought it would be more expensive!

So tonight, I made my first meal without any of those ingredients!!!

Fiesta Quinoa Salad 
1 cup white quinoa, plus 1/4 cup red quinoa, washed and drained (I used all white)
1 cup fresh corn, off the cob (I used fresh off the cob that had been frozen)
2 cups filtered water

Pinch sea salt ( I didn't add any salt)
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained

1/2 cup finely diced yellow pepper 
1/2 cup diced tomatoes
1/4 cup cilantro leaves
Dressing:
2 teaspoons lime zest
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 tablespoons tamari (I used soy sauce because we didn't have any tamari)
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar 





Not bad! I was pretty impressed!  It wasn't all that bad!! Danny ate it! FYI Danny has..... a very selective pallet. It was good! We ate it and I actually thought it was quite filling for being a lot of natural stuff and no meat!!


Now I should say we are still eating a few things we shouldn't as we are cleaning out our cupboards of old stuff and trying out new recipes... which, frankly, we have no idea what is good and what is not!  We do plan on eating meat occasionally, but for the most part we want to be much more whole food and plant based, with our diet than we have been.


Anyway, I'll update on what we figure out as we go!

1 comment:

  1. Girly you are brave! You have to tell me how this works out :)

    ReplyDelete